Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hurry A Little Slower

There are so many thoughts proclaimed and advice given to folks in search of a better life, prosperity, and happiness in a busy, entangled world.
This world we live in - is it stressful? More than in earlier days? More than for someone who lives on a deserted island or in a hermit's cave? More so for a city dweller than a farmer in a picturesque valley?

No matter where we live or what we do for a living, stress can be more or less what we make it.
Everyone needs food on the table and an orderly life where laws are obeyed and daily chores fulfilled. But how can we make our days better? Happier? More fulfilling?

I would not put all my chores in a box and dig them down in the ground only to be open by curiosity like a time capsule in the distant future. Some chores are actually fun to do. But there are ways to help make a busy day less stressful. Here are some tips:

Do less
A wise friend said that in order to do more, she needed to do less. With that she meant that in order to have the opportunity to be available to give aid, help, and comfort to others, she needed to do less of the things that are unnecessary.

Prioritize
What makes you happy? I have lists of things to do every day. I like lists. Silly me! But I often choose the fun things on my list. Life should be enjoyable. Make sure you add fun things on your to-do-list.

Enjoy the moment
Savor a hug, a few minutes to talk with someone you love, watch the view and feel grateful for its beauty, or grab fifteen minutes to put your feet up and do nothing. When my kids were little and I felt like I could topple over with exhaustion at any moment, I would now and then lie on the floor, close my eyes, and just "be" for a little while. It gave me the strength to continue.

Don't let time pass you by
Sometimes putting chores aside to listen, to share, to help, can save your own day. It will give you a feeling of gladness that will energize your being and make you better equipped to face your own challenges. Why? Because in being kind, you will gain strength and confidence to get through your own everyday life. Blessings come to those who try their best.

Slow down
I am still working on this one, but it is good advice. And by this, I mean that it's important to learn to slow down without feeling that you are doing anything wrong and without having pangs of conscience attacking you. Maybe easier said than done, but it can mean saving a moment - or a day.



Today's water color is called "Walking the dog".


No comments:

Post a Comment