Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chocolate in the Rain (or any other time)

It's raining.

Funny me, but I really like rain. It's refreshing,
It gives me the opportunity to sit and watch, sipping warm herbal tea or even better--hot chocolate--listening to the soft downpour.
It also gives me the chance to put on a rubber boots, a warm coat and a funny, floppy hat and walk Hector, the Wheaten Terrier, down the paths in the woods by the Duck and Cherry. He really does not care if it's rain or shine.

I have three problems with the rain today, but they are "overcomeable". I have the living room rug hanging out on the veranda. Airing it out has taken on a new meaning now that it is also semi-wet under the tarpaulin. Also, Hector's wooly fur will be quite dirty when we eventually meander outside. And, probably the problem I struggle with the most today--it is such a chocolate kind of day. I have already had several pieces and the urge does not seem to go away.

I have heard that eating the same amount of white and brown chocolate will give you a well-balanced meal, that chocolate is made from beans and is actually a vegetable, and that the great tragedies of old were written by people who did not know chocolate.

A writer and artist like me, who spends a lot of time pinned down on a chair, warm socks on the feet, and a table filled with papers, sketches, notes, and books, I tell myself that putting the chocolate a few paces away in the kitchen, is great exercise. You get up and walk across the room and get one little piece at a time.

So, the following saying suits me just fine:

“Chocolate is a perfect food, as wholesome as it is delicious, a beneficent restorer of exhausted power...it is the best friend of those engaged in literary pursuits.” 
― Justus von Liebig

And while I'm at it,I will give you a few more clever sayings about chocolate?

 “It was like having a box of chocolates shut in the bedroom drawer. Until the box was empty it occupied the mind too much.” 
― Graham GreeneThe Heart of the Matter

  “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” 
― Charles M. Schulz

“The End is Nigh!" the man shouted.
"Is there still time for hot chocolate?" Riley asked.
The-End-is-Nigh guy blinked. "Ah, maybe, I don’t know.” 
― Jana OliverForbidden

“A dark-chocolate truffle melts in my mouth, and I forget about everything else ... even the fact that I'm on a diet.” 
― Barbara Brooke

Enjoy a piece or three. . . 


Photograph - courtesy of unsplash.


No comments:

Post a Comment