Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Whimsical Art


Whimsical.

I have had my art called whimsical. I have had people--not one or two or three, but more--say that the Amy Adams' character, Giselle, in the Disney movie, "Enchanted", is me.

What can I say? I love fairy tales, enchanted forests, castles and knights in shining armor. My Pinterest boards will show you that and also fairies, magical shoes, witches and damsells in distress. One of my water color Christmas fairies has been repinned many times.

Someone whimsical is often curious and quizzical, but can also be peculiar and unpredictable.

I just like the sound of the word itself. It is a happy word that makes my imagination wander.


What makes some of us enjoy playful things, fanciful creatures, and quaint places? I say some of us, because not everyone is into whimsical. And even the same item can leave two people with two totally different interpretations.

Two of our munchkins did just that. They have a He-Man castle at their house. The three year-old boy speaks about it with a deep, scary voice. The little two year-old girl thinks it's a princess castle.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I believe there are people out there who would think that whimsical and silly belong in the same sentence. But as they are comfortable with that, I enjoy embracing the chimerical in books, art, history, and in my own mind.

Today's water colors are a fairy boy and a little lamb.






No comments:

Post a Comment