Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Mothering

Above all the jobs, callings, opportunities, gifts, blessings, chores, and joys in my life, I would choose mothering again and again. This time-consuming, all-encompassing, happy and sometimes frustrating task is in one word wonderful.

I would not give it away, nor change it, just make the best out of every moment, every day.

I admire my own mother. Watched her. Learned from her. Chose to be as much like her as I could. I watched other mothers as I was growing up, picking out good traits that I thought I would implement in my life when I had children one day. I also observed things I decided not to do in my future family life.

Wikipedia will tell you that a mother is a woman who gives birth to a child and raises it, but I believe it is so much more than that. Mother is a title, a loving bond, a connection, an honorable relationship. The word itself brings on a flood of emotions and loving feelings.

Sheri L. Dew, an inspirational speaker, talks about motherhood in a wider perspective that any encyclopedia will explain. In her famous talk, Are We Not All Mothers? , she explains how every woman is a mother. I love that concept.

Yesterday was Mother's Day here in Norway. I thought about my mother and my heart swelled with thankfulness and love.  I posted a photograph of her on Facebook (above), remembering her many smiles and always open arms.

Today's pictures: ice cream with my mother, water color showing motherhood





No comments:

Post a Comment