Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Can Admiration be Dangerous?

I believe that a good portion of admiration is healthy for relationships, both close and long-distance ones.
Just think of how we look up to others because they are great sportsmen, amazing dancers, and inspirational orators. Those are usually people we don't know personally, people we will probably never meet in person. Still, they inspire us, entertain, and make us dream of what it would be like if only . . .

But what about looking up to someone you have a tight, personal relationship with? Can a dash of admiration be a good thing or is it boxed up only for TV-personalities?

Admiration for my husband and his talents is uplifting to me. I am never in competition with him. We are too different to ever have to compete one with another. Therefore, I can be in awe of his abilities and talents. He can do many things well that I can only dream of. And I am fine with that.

But is there danger in dwelling on admiration for our fellow beings--the people we meet, hear about, and associate with? Admiration can turn into envy, greed and even resentment if we go down the wrong path. The possible outcome is ending up disliking someone because they excel in one way or another.

A covetable attitude is definitely not an admirable trait.

It may sound like a cliché, but I believe love is the key. If we love someone enough, we will not want to hurt them in any way. We will want that person to be happy and rejoice with them when they progress. Admiration will become a stepping stone to positive thinking instead of a festering lump of bitterness.

I may go a little overboard in my admiration for others. I even admire Hector, the Wheaten Terrier, for being so patient and dedicated.

 One online dictionary says that admire means to look at someone or something with enjoyment.
Sounds like a good thing to me.

Today's art is an oil painting I painted in 1983. I am certain the Pharisees were secretly in awe of the young boy who knew the Scriptures so well.



No comments:

Post a Comment