Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Real Life Versus Movies

Things aren't always what we think they are.

I have at times been worried or perplexed about certain situations--without reason--as my worries are groundless in the real world.
Let me explain.

I once watched "Top Gun" with a fighter pilot. Tom Cruise and his pilot companion fly through the skies, one upside down above the other. Next to me on the couch I hear, "They can't do that."

This summer I spoke with a retired FBI agent. I asked him if they charge in, dozens of cars with sirens and lights, like in the movies. He said, "No, not at all. It's just like that on film."

I watched the news showing a demonstration in Moscow, serious journalism about horrible conditions. Someone who had just been there told me, "I was there in the middle of it. It wasn't like that at all."

I recently had break pads and rotors on our car replaced. I explained to the mechanic how worried I had been, imagining stepping on the break on a downward hill--and nothing. He calmed me down and explained that that would not happen.

So my latest endeavor is going to an osteopath. He works on stress factors in my neck and for some reason likes to "crack" it to give the crammed up vertebrae more space. I dislike this procedure a whole bunch. It reminds me of too many detective shows where someone is being killed by twisting his head and breaking the neck. My osteopath, who happens to be my son in law, keeps reminding me how improbable that really is. He knows much more about anatomy than I do and knows what he is talking about.

So I probably should not worry so much. I love going to the movies. I love watching shows at home, Arnfinn next to me on the couch, something to snack on in front of us. Real life is better.

I feel I can still learn a lot from going to see an exciting show. I learn about people, relationships, right and wrong, good and bad, and I am usually very much in love when I return home after a happy ending.

Today's water color is called "Transylvania". Is it beautiful or scary?


No comments:

Post a Comment