Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Red Mailbox in the Woods

Summer vacation! It came - it went! Much too fast also. It's strange how we look forward to happenings and before we know it - it is already in the past. Strange you are TIME.
Hector, the Wheaten Terrier, and I have been for many wonderful walks in the blessed beautiful nature. He is a great walking companion. He is always positive and excited to join me for walks. He never says no.

One day we went on a hike in the woods south of Trondheim, Norway. It was a serene and quiet walk, the only sounds we heard were from four-legged or winged creatures. My senses opened up to imaginary tales to write and Hector, well, he just enjoyed running around.

We saw a huge ant hill with busy industrious little bugs running to and fro and large trees pulled out of the ground by fierce winds and storms. One large root that now breathes the air and sees the sunlight looked like a troll sitting on a small hill.

A little ways up the path we saw a bright red mail-box, all by itself on a tree next to the path. Inside was a writing pad and a pen. I took it out and signed our names.



I like unexpected funny things like that. Who thinks about putting up a red mailbox in the middle of the woods for people to jot down their name on a piece of paper? Life goes by quickly and we work and fill our days with necessary, trivial, materialistic, and toiling things. The red mailbox was another reminder to me of the importance of adding humor and fun into our everyday life.

My parents loved life. They passed on to me an enjoyment in everyday living and a happiness for being part of the trivial little moments in life. When they left this world it dawned on me how short life really is. It feels as if they have moved somewhere else, but I know without a doubt that I will be with them again, and I am looking forward to that.

So I will write my name and put it in a little red mailbox and be part of the walk of life -- and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment