Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Smell like dirt!


In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.  Margaret Atwood

Ha ha ha....why couldn't she say that we should smell like roses?
Anyway, here at the Duck and Cherry, spring has sprung and my days now have garden work like mowing the lawn, weeding, and planting added to the agenda.
My neighbor Ragnar has a beautiful garden and spends hours every day out in the fresh air, taking care of his cultivated nature patch. Ragnar is very friendly and a gentleman, the kind I can go and ask for advice when I am confused about what to do in my own garden. He can tell me when to prune, how to prune, what to plant, and so on. He even comes over and shows me how and assists me.
Good neighbors is a great  asset to our street. It's not as if we see them all the time or go out with them, but they are friendly and kind.
Strange how neighbors meet more in the summer as we are outside working the garden and take a few minutes now and then to chat through the bushes or next to the wheel barrow with a shovel in hand.
So, maybe it's OK to smell like dirt at the end of the day. It would at least prove that I had done an honest day's work in the garden.

Today's photograph is of two of the wild cherry trees here in the garden of The Duck and Cherry.

2 comments:

  1. You have been nominated for the Sunshine Award on my blog. Take a look

    ReplyDelete