Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Nonsensical, but joyous


Is it necessary that all things you collect, do, plan, love - have to be reasonable and sensible?
I like the word Kiera Knightley uses in the beautiful filmatic rendition of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". She says: "nonsensical". I love it!
In my book, it's absolutely proper, and even necessary, that some things are nonsensical and nonmeaningful from time to time.
I collected salt and pepper shakers in my youth. What did I need a whole bunch of those for? Nothing! But I enjoyed looking at them, and they reminded me of places I had been. I also collected napkins, stationary and stamps as a child. I was even a member of a stamp club in England and thoroughly enjoyed my monthly package with colorful stamps from all over the world in my mailbox. I don't need those things anymore, but at the time, it brought me joy.
I believe it's important to do things for the pure enjoyment of it. There is a scripture in The Book of Mormon that says: "And they lived after the manner of happiness". Another scripture says "Man is that he may have joy".
Picking out the things you want to do or collect or be, just for enjoyment and joy, is a great gift. Unwrap it today!

Today's water color is of Svenner Lighthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment